St. Joe National Forest / Idaho Department of Lands 46N-1W-1
1920's: Camp (Kresek)
1935: L-4 cabin (Kresek)
August 26, 1954: "On Sunday, Mrs. Molly Frenger accompanied Mr. and Mrs Bob Larson on a trip to St Maries, where Mr. Larson is building a Lookout station for the forestry department." (Sandpoint News Bulletin)
1954: L-4 cab atop a ten foot concrete base. (Kresek)
January 13, 1960: "The Clearwater Forest will provide 40 million board feet and the St. Joe Forest will yield 57 million - including two larger sales totaling 30 million which will be prorated over four years. The state received an additional 27,000 acres from the St. Joe National Forest. It will include a high lookout atop St. Joe Baldy and will mean $2,000 extra revenue yearly." (Idaho State Journal)
1980's: Abandoned. (Kresek)
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - ST JOE BALDY LOT PID - SV1515 STATE/COUNTY- ID/BENEWAH COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - ST JOE BALDY (1995)
DESCRIBED BY US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY 1956 NOT OCCUPIED, INTERSECTED ONLY.
LOCATED ABOUT 8 MI NE. OF ST. MARIES. ON HIGH BALD MOUNTAIN OVERLOOKING ST. JOE RIVER KNOWN AS ST JOE BALDY.
TO REACH FROM THIRD AND COLLEGE STREETS IN ST. MARIES, DRIVE 0.6 MI N. AND W. ON U.S. HWY. 95A TO DIRT RD. RIGHT. TURN RIGHT FOLLOWING DIRT RD. ALONG NORTH SIDE OF ST. JOE RIVER 8.8 MI TO SIDE RD. LEFT. TURN LEFT UP ST. JOE BALDY RD. TO LOH AND STATION.
STATION MARK--CENTER OF LOH. (BUILT IN 1956, NOT ONE OCCUPIED IN 1949)