1934: A 40-foot round native timber tower with an L-4 cab.
1959: A cinder block base with an R-6 cab was constructed by Dave Langley and a crew of two men. Materials were delivered to the site by truck.
March 2, 1960: "A new lookout house was constructed at Hell's Half in the Magruder District." (Ravalli Republic)
June 21, 1963: "Hell's Half Acre: David Dillon, Elnora, Ind. Dillon is studying Wildlife Management at Montana State University at Missoula. This will be his second year on Hells Hald Acre Lookout." (Ravalli Republic)
July 26, 2013: The lookout structure was wrapped in a fire retardant material as a precaution to an oncoming wildfire threat. The lookout staff were temporarily moved to Salmon Mountain.
September 3, 2017: The lookout was wrapped in fire retardant material and the staff evacuated by helicopter.