January 28, 1945: "The Garden Valley district had two women lookouts and one of them, Mrs. Edna Wells is a service wife. Mrs. Wells was on Deadwood lookout, and her only company was her dog 'and a collection of teddy bears.' She had her car with her and hauled her water from the Bog Guard Station three miles away. During late June, Mrs. Wells worked on telephone maintenance, digging post holes and driving a team of horses." (Idaho Statesman)
1972 : The last year the lookout staffed.
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - DEADWOOD LOOKOUT HOUSE PID - QA0820 STATE/COUNTY- ID/BOISE COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - SCOTT CREEK (1972)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1959 (JEG) DEADWOOD LOOKOUT HOUSE IS A ONE STORY WOODEN BUILDING 14 FEET SQUARE AND ABOUT 15 FEET HIGH TO THE PEAK OF THE ROOF SURROUNDED BY A STONE WALKWAY ABOUT 4 FEET WIDE. IT IS PAINTED WHITE AND HAS A GREEN SHINGLED ROOF. THE POINT OF INTERSECTION WAS THE BASE OF THE LIGHTNING ROD AT THE PEAK OF THE ROOF.
THE STATION IS LOCATED, AIRLINE, ABOUT 13-1/2 MILES EAST OF CROUCH, 11 MILES SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF DEADWOOD RESERVOIR DAM, AND 5-1/2 MILES NORTHWEST OF LOWMAN. IT IS OWNED AND OPERATED BY THE U.S. FOREST SERVICE.