August 1, 1924: "Burning fiercely over approximately 1500 acres of state land, with flames scattering in a northeasterly direction, the holdings of the Boise-Payette Lumber company, one mile distant, are now threatened and the Packer John lookout station seems in the path of the timbered torches and destined for destruction, about a mile away. Smoke and gas from the raging fire has already put Packer John lookout temporarily out of commission while Arthur Storey, guardian of the stately pines and lookout in that district, remains on the mountain peak, reporting the progress of the fire. One hundred sixty-five men are engaged in fighting the fire, under handicaps most trying and three of the crew whose names were not given have been injured, one hit by a rolling rock and two struck down by falling trees."
1929: A 20 x 20 two-story laced log structure was constructed. (Kresek)
October 19, 1936: "Packer John Mountain Lookout and road were built through emergency conservation works funds and with civilian corps labor, under the supervision of the Idaho state forester. Skilled labor and equipm,ent were furnished by the Southern Idaho Timber Protective association. The site is owned by the state of Idaho and is in the center of a 21,000-acre tract of state forest land." (The Idaho Statesman)
March 6, 1938: "The Packer John Lookout station atop 7061-foot Packer John mountain in southern Idaho, was built a few years ago by CCC youths. It is one of the most efficient and modern lookout stations of its kind in the country, forest officials declare. It is on land supervised by the Southern Idaho Timber Protective association." (The Post-Register) - Caption under photo of lookout.
July 10, 1941: "Mr. and Mrs. Dan Herman Jr. visited Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Snyder from Friday evening until Sunday. They report it is lovely at the Packer John Lookout where the Snyders are located." (Payette Valley Sentinel)
1980: The lookout was destroyed.
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - PACKER JOHN LOOKOUT HOUSE PID - QB1284 STATE/COUNTY- ID/BOISE COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - PACKER JOHN MOUNTAIN (1985)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1959 (JEG)
STATION IS THE CENTER OF THE LOOKOUT HOUSE, WHICH IS OWNED AND
OPERATED BY THE SOUTHERN IDAHO TIMBER PROTECTION ASSOCIATION.
IT IS 22 FEET SQUARE, 25 FEET HIGH, CONSTRUCTED OF LOGS AND
PAINTED SILVER WITH A GREEN ROOF. IT IS A TWO STORY BUILDING
AND SETS ON THE MOST NORTHERLY HIGH POINT OF PACKER JOHN
STATION IS LOCATED, AIRLINE, ABOUT 6-1/2 MILES SOUTH OF SMITH
FERRY AND 2-1/2 MILES EAST OF STATE HIGHWAY 15.