1934: The tower was burned in the Pete King Fire and not replaced.
1981: "Ranger Roy Lewis manned the point for the first time in 1931 by setting in a tent camp with Bill Dennison as lookout. That same year Carpenters Earnest Hartman and Harry Chenoweth were moved in and with Dennison's help built a 20 foot high log tower on which they assembled a pre-cut L-4 lookout cabin. Material for the cabin was packed in from Bimerick cabin via the Lochsa River trail. The Old Man tower was another of those ill fated structures that were over run by the 1934 fire. It went up in smoke on August 17, a day or so after the lookout had been called to Lochsa Station for fire fighting duty." (Louis Hartig, 'Historic Facilities of the Lochsa Ranger District' -1981)
Nez Perce National Forest - 25N-6E-12
1963 - Nez Perce National Forest
1929: A gable roof cabin with a cupola was constructed.
1963: An R-6 cab was erected atop a 7-foot cinder block enclosed storage area.
Nez Perce National Forest - 31N-10E-11
c.1934: 30-foot tower with L-4 cab.
Clearwater National Forest - 29N-12E-25
National Forest - 35N-7E-9
National Forest - 32N-7E-35
Nez Perce National Forest - 31N-14E-6
c.1939: 30-foot pole tower with L-4 cab.
Nez Perce National Forest - 30N-6E-28
1922 - U. S. Forest Service
. 1914: A tent camp was established.
1922: A 10'x10' frame cabin with a hip roof was constructed.
1939: An L-4 cab built atop a 10-foot timber tower.
Nez Perce National Forest - 28N-8E-27
National Forest - 30N-10E-15
Nez Perce National Forest - 30N-10E-15
1929: two-story log cabin with cupola
Nez Perce National Forest - 29N-4E-13
1934: 100-foot Aermotor MC-40 steel tower with 7x7 cab, an L-4 cab for Living quarters.
January 2, 1936: "A U.S. Forest Service man was struck by lightning not long ago, and lives to tell the tale. Al Moore was on duty on top of 100-foot steel tower on Quartz Ridge, in the Nezperce National Forest. A black storm rolled up. Lightning hit the tower. Said Lookout Moore afterwards: 'My first impression was of a blinding flash, but I was not aware of any crash or noise. A hit like that leaves a man with a very limp, weak feeling, soon followed by a cold sweat and an empty sensation in the pit of his stomach.' 'There is some satisfaction in knowing that the tower can take a direct hit and the lookout live through it.' Even without a direct hit, a steel lookout tower is an interesting place during lightning weather, as Mr. Moore describes it: 'The tower always buzzes and hums as a storm approaches, and small balls of blue flame hand to each corner of the cabin roof... Its rood business to wear rubber-soled shoes, and keep hands off sides of the cabin and other metal parts.'" (El Paso Herald-Post - Texas)
Nez Perce National Forest - 25N-6E-8
1930: frame cupola cabin.
Nez Perce National Forest - 25N-9E-20
1930: log cupola cabin
National Forest - 29N-5E-35
RAINY CREEK POINT
National Forest - 26N-11E-7
RAINY DAY POINT
National Forest - 28N-6E-15
Payette National Forest - 22N-10E-33
National Forest - 37N-16E-36
Nez Perce National Forest - 34N-11E-16
1981: "The first time that this emergency lookout was ever manned was in 1937 when Ranger Millard Evenson was in charge of the district. That year William Pointer and a two man crew built a telephone line from End Butte out to Rhoda Point. The three men set their tent camp on the ridge near the point and on a boulder-strewn hilltop they built a 20-foot-high observation tower. A short distance from the tower they built a cabin of peeled logs with a split cedar shake roof. The cabin was only about 8x10 feet in size and was primarily for off-season storage of camp equipment to avoid packing everything back to the ranger station or horse camp cabin. It was also used for sleeping quarters by the lookout man. Cooking was done under a tent and fly out front. Daland Broker manned the point during the 1938-39 seasons. In 1938 he was given two helpers to build a telephone line on down to Doe Point, another emergency lookout. With the two men to help he also cleared the fire break around Rhoda Point tower and cabin. The lookout was manned through the 1941 season then dropped from the fire plan." (Louis Hartig, 'Historic Facilities of the Lochsa Ranger District' - 1981)
1987: The lookout tower was sold as surplus property and was moved to a private location.
National Forest - 29N-15E-35
Nez Perce National Forest - 25N-3E-25
1925 - U.S. Forest Service
Nez Perce National Forest
Nez Perce National Forest - 36N-13E-7
Nez Perce National Forest - 26N-11E-15
Payette National Forest - 24N-9E-27
Nez Perce National Forest - 33N-12E-27
National Forest - 29N-5E-13
National Forest - 29N-10E-8
Clearwater National Forest - 38N-17E-1
Nez Perce National Forest - 26N-3E-7
!931: A 75-foot tower with a 7x7 cab was erected. A ground cabin was built for living quarters.
1948: An L-4 cab was built atop a 40-foot treated timber tower.
1979: A 41-foot treated timber tower with an R-6 cab was constructed.
National Forest - 37N-9E-26
Payette National Forest - 23N-8E-31
1958: A new R-6 cab was constructed on a cinder block base.
September 3, 2008: The removal of the lookout was completed. Due to the use of lead based paint the contract for removal required special treatment and the ensuing costs were $19,835.00.
National Forest - 36N-7E-33
SODA CREEK POINT
National Forest - 28N-10E-33
Nez Perce National Forest - 28N-5E-27
1928 - U.S. Forest Service
SPLIT CREEK POINT
Clearwater National Forest - 33N-9E-5
1931: A 30-foot timber tower with an L-4 cab constructed.
1934: The lookout was destroyed in the Pete King Fire and was never rebuilt.
1981: "Earl Bollman and Delbert Cox built a 30-foot tower on the ridge in 1931. In 1934, the structure was destroyed by fire and the point was dropped from the fire plan." (Louis Hartig, 'Historic Facilities of the Lochsa Ranger District' - 1981)
Clearwater National Forest - 34N-11E-29/30
1981: "Gold Meadows lookout was manned for the last time in 1938. The next year the tent camp was set up two miles south of Gold Meadows, at Sponge Mountain and that point was used for the observation station. Camp was near the Fish Lake Saddle-Mocus Point telephone line so a phone was tied in. Sponge Mtn. was manned through the 1941 season and then abandoned. No structures were ever built at this point." (Louis Hartig, 'Historic Facilities of the Lochsa Ranger District' - 1981)
1981: "Stanley was manned as a lookout point for the first in 1921 when Marion Strine and an unidentified companion were moved up there and set up housekeeping in a tent camp. In 1922, fire guards, including lookout Strine, built a 12' x 14' log cabin about 200' NW from the mountain top. A post on which to fit a Koch mapboard was wedged into the rock outcrop on the very top of the butte, in time a puncheon floor was laid around the post and a safety railing was installed. Lightning protection was added in the 1930's and later yet an Osborne firefinder replaced the Koch Board. The cabin eventually acquired a hardwood floor, ceiling and walls covered with shiplap lumber. Also installed were mouse-proof cabinets for storage- no more mouse droppings in food and dishes. In 1949 young Jim Mitchell manned the place for the last season. The cabin was condemned and burned in 1954."
1981: "Late in the 1925 fire season, Middlefork District Ranger Ray Ferguson sent firemen Earl Whitney and Russell Stadtman to Van Camp to man the point as a lookout for the remainder of the summer. The two men set their tent camp near a water supply in the first saddle north of Van Camp about 3/8 mile from the lookout point. They made regular morning and evening patrol trips to the point, except following lightning activity when more time was spent on lookout duty. When weather conditions permitted they brushed trail toward Middle Butte. Van Camp is not a prominent point, it is flat topped and was at that time covered with scattered, low growing brush with no trees to obstruct the view. The men had no mapboard or lookout map, if a smoke was spotted a smokechaser map was oriented flat on the ground and an azimuth bearing taken with a pocket compass. A photo taken in 1927 shows a lookout tree with a observation platform 50 feet or so above the ground."
Bitterroot National Forest - 30N-15E-35
Nez Perce National Forest - 30N-11E-19
Clearwater National Forest - 34N-7E-30
August 15, 2011 - Ron Kemnow photo
LQ - August 15, 2011 - Ron Kemnow photo
1981: "A 100' steel tower with a glass-enclosed observatory at the top was built on the mountain by the Nezperce National Forest in 1939 at a cost of $5143.00. Material for the structure was hauled in either by way of Suttler Creek or Glenwood to Mystery Saddle, then over a newly built shoo-fly road to the top of the mountain. In 1941, a 14'x16' well built log cabin with a shake covered roof, that projected 6' over a plank floored porch, was built for lookout living quarters by the same forest at a cost of $219.00. The new cabin was located only a few feet from the steel tower. The point was transferred from Middlefork District to Lochsa District by a boundary change in 1956. The lookout was last manned in 1979 and was abandoned. The log cabin was condemned and burned in 1979, though the steel tower still stands." (Louis Hartig, 'Historic Facilities of the Lochsa Ranger District' - 1981)
Nez Perce National Forest
Payette National Forest - 23N-5E-24
July 15, 2012 - Ron Kemnow photo
August 20, 1944: "Then there are Mr. and Mrs. A.H. Morgan at War Eagle, overlooking the fabulous Warren placer diggings of the late 1860's. Morgan is a retired banker from Weiser. Both are proud to contribute to the war effort by assisting in fighting fires." (The Salt Lake Tribune)
July 20, 1953: "The Payette forest blaze, near War Eagle Lookout 10 miles from Warren, was fanned by winds Sunday afternoon." (The Post-Register)
WAUGH (LOST PACKER)
National Forest - 25N-14E-19
Nez Prece National Forest - 32N-11E-34
Clearwater National Forest - 36N-8E-10
National Forest - 37N-13E-15
WEST FORK POINT
Nez Perce National Forest - 31N-7E-23
National Forest - 36N-16E-23
Clearwater National Forest - 35N-8E-13
1981: "The point is located at the end of Trail #237, going in by way of Fish Creek. It was used as a lookout for the first time in 1929 when Ranger Ralph Hand, who was putting in his last season on Lochsa District, set a tent camp and one man on the ridge. For communication a telephone line was strung in from Obia cabin. By 1930 Ranger Fred Shaner had taken over the District and under his direction, a pre-cut, L-4 lookout cabin was packed to the ridge and Earnest Hartman with Harry Chenoweth went up and put it together. It was built on log sills flat on the ground, no understory or tower. The station was manned each season until 1934 when the big fire reduced the cabin to ashes. Willow Ridge was never manned again, mainly due to the lack of anything to protect." (Louis Hartig, 'Historic Facilities of the Lochsa Ranger District' - 1981)